From point of lay (16-20 weeks onwards) birds which are being kept for their eggs should ideally be fed a good quality layers feed to ensure they are provided with sufficient protein, vitamins and minerals (particularly calcium) which is necessary to produce tasty eggs with strong shells on a regular basis.
With the weather starting to improve and the daylight hours increasing you may find your chickens are starting to scratch around outside more for food items including insects, green shoots and seeds. Although this will help contribute to a natural diet, your chickens won’t necessarily be receiving all of the essential vitamins and minerals that they may need for their specific age and use (pet, breeding and egg laying).
One producer of layers feeds is the Smallholder Range.
The Natural Free Range Layers Pellets and Natural Free Range Layers Crumble from the Smallholder Range provides a premium complete feed that is nutritional balanced with vitamins and minerals to help produce good quality eggs, formulated with natural ingredients such as, marigold petals and grass which give the eggs a golden yolk colour and a deep rich taste. The Natural Free Range Layers Pellets and Crumble provide the same nutritional benefits but just come in different consistencies. The Natural Free Range Layers Pellets are formulated into a small pellet size of 2.5mm in diameter making them suitable for a wide range of hens including bantams whereas, the Natural Free Range Layers Crumble can create less dust and waste than a traditional meal/mash and the crumble consistency can help to prevent selective feeding. The Smallholder Range layers feeds are not only supplied in the standard 20kg bags but also offer handy 5kg bags which are perfect for the small scale owner.
To ensure your birds can get the most from the Natural Free Range Layers Pellets or Crumble it would be beneficial to provide the feed on an ad-lib basis in troughs or specialised feeders to prevent wastage. This should also be fed alongside continuous access to clean, fresh water and grit to help provide your birds with a healthy balanced diet.
The Smallholder Range:
Non-GM (Genetically Modified) Ingredients
- We do all that we can to ensure that all the ingredients used are grown from seed which is not genetically modified (Non-GM).
- No artificial additives or growth promotors are used.
- All of our poultry feeds are completely soya free, using local field beans as a protein source.
- Research has shown that over 80 per cent of the world's soya is now genetically modified, to ensure we continue to use non-GM ingredients and keep food miles low; we use soya alternatives.
Vegan approved by the Vegetarian Society
- We never use animal-by-products in our feeds.
- We do not use fish meal as a protein source.
- We do not use gelatine as a preservative.
- All of our feeds are completely drug free and are produced in a drug free mill.
- Unlike some feeds on the market which contain coccidiostats to help prevent the parasitic disease coccidiosis, The Smallholder Range is coccidiostats free.
- This also means Natural Free Range Layers Pellets are safe to feed to ducks.
Omega 3 Oils
- We only ever use high quality premium grade vegetable oils.
- Animal fats and recovered oils such as chip fat have never been used in our feeds.
- We add linseed to our feeds which has been shown to increase Omega 3 levels in eggs making it beneficial for human health.
- Added Omega 3 Oils help contribute to healthy birds and wonderful eggs.
No Hexane Extracted Ingredients
- We do not use any chemically extracted ingredients.
By Royal Appointment
- We are delighted to have been granted the Royal Warrant in 2009 by HRH The Prince of Wales.
Provided by Allen & Page May 2019